Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day 9 - The Spirit of Christmas Journey




There's a tug at my heart today, there's a little girl who is wishing for a new bike for Christmas. Ok so there's lots of kids wanting bikes - what makes this one different? Like me Piper has CP. I can identify with her frustration and dreaming of being able to ride a bike with her friends. However, neither of us can physically ride a bicycle due to lack of balance and muscle control.

Piper told her OT (occupational therapist) of her dream to go bike riding with her friends and the OT has recommend a bike that is suited to her needs but, due to muscle fatigue, in order to be able to ride the bike Piper also needs a special suit. I know first hand the benefits of wearing what I term 'my second skin'. The catch is the cost of Piper's bike and suit is over $3,000 and with other kids to buy presents for her parent can not fulfil Piper's dream.

I read about Pipers dream through a charity called 'I give a buck', if everyone gave $1 to buy these special kids equipment then it makes it easy to raise the money. (All equipment must be prescribed by a registered OT, parents can't just make a request to the I give a buck) so how could I not contribute to this little girls Christmas wish. If you'd like to help Piper or another child visit I Give A Buck to donate.

Speaking of giving I have entered a Facebook competition to assist my friend’s medical costs for her breast cancer. If you could take the time to vote at the link below I would appreciate it.

Dear Debbie,

Your nomination has been approved!

We are pleased to advise that your Gift of Giving nomination has been selected as one of our Top 5 nominations!
You can now visit the Gift of Giving Facebook page and vote for your nomination! The top 2 nominations that receive the most votes will be the winners of the $500 gift.
To increase your chances of winning, we recommend you encourage your friends/family/work colleagues to vote also. You can easily let them know about voting by clicking the "share" button beside your story.
We wish you all the best of luck :)
Kind Regards
ECU Australia.

Now are you wondering how my supply of Candy Canes is going? Well . . . Today I boxed up a supply and gave it to one of my support workers. I asked her to share them with her other clients next week. So the candy canes are continuing to weave their magic and I still need to print out the place cards and attach the candy canes to them before Sunday.

My final experience of the Spirit of Christmas I want to share today is:-
last night I sat and wrote to one of my teachers who taught me English and Economics in my finial years at school. It was through my teacher’s encouragement that I had the self-belief to go on to uni and complete my Bachelor of Arts and became a writer. I met up again with this teacher about 8 years ago at a Children's Writer's festival. It is uncanny to think we both are children's writers.

I found this a fascinating exercise. I am not sure why Charlie put it on the list of suggestions. Shh! It wasn't handwritten. I’ve been typing since I was 8 years old due to poor hand eye coordination. I’m not sure what Michael will make of the letter. Again it felt like it was me receiving the gift. Despite all the verbal bullying that occurred while at school, it still held a sense of security with my teachers taking a keen interest in what seemed a frightening future, especially deciding to leave home to study in a city I didn't know. I couldn’t help wondering how different my life would have been without the guidance of Michael and my other wonderful teachers. I personally had no intention of applying to uni.

I think it brought the incredible gift my teachers had given me. Choosing not to shelter myself away or hide behind my disability but embrace life and to give others the encouragement I had been given as a young adult. I guess that what the Pay It Forward movement is all about.
Sitting at my desk I feel a tinge of guilt over that effect 'all this giving' is giving back to me. Is it meant to feel so good? Needless to say I am finding the Spirit of Christmas is alive and well.

Until tomorrow . . .       

No comments:

Post a Comment