Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 3 - The Spirit of Christmas Journey


Since I last posted I have been busy writing letters. Hey! What a novel idea for a writer to do 'write'! Sitting on that table is a letter and Christmas card addressed to an unknown resident in a nursing home. Thanks to Trista for posting the The Forgotten Ones link. I was able to write to a resident in a nurse home that probably has little contact with the outside world. So that was a nice thing to be able to do.

I also decided to sit down and write to my support worker whose house was flooded early in the year. In January 1000's of people's homes in Ipswich were flooded. I am very thankful that I live on a hill. The houses in the lower part of the Street weren't so fortunate. Our city is still very much in the recovery process and many people still won't be in their own homes to celebrate this Christmas. It is sad to think that many people who weren't affected by the floods have moved on and unaware the 100's of people in our community are still struggling to rebuild the lives.

As my worker shared, part of the hold up is there are only so many builders, and 100's of people needing repairs to their homes and business. May I encourage those who live in towns and cities across the eastern coast of Australia affected by natural disasters last summer to shop locally as many people lost both their homes and businesses.

Sadly these people won't have extras for Christmas this year and some, like my support worker, don't even have a home to live in. Maybe there are people in similar situations in your own country that you can reach out to this Christmas.

It been great to stop and reflect on some of the suffering in our community that we don't see from day to day.


As my journey nears the end I feel a tinge of sadness even though everyday there are opportunities to share random acts of kindness in the community. I shall leave you with this thought posted on The Forgotten Ones Facebook Page.


"I shall pass through this world once.
Any good therefore that I can do
or any kindness that I can show 
to any human being, let me do it now.
Do not let me defer or neglect it,
for I shall not pass this way again."

                                                               ~ Mahatma Ghandi ~




No comments:

Post a Comment