Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 4 - The Spirit of Christmas Journey

Today I had a phone call from the organizers of the Gold Coast Community Lunch - a free community Christian Lunch on Christmas Day which anyone can attend. I explained that I was able to post the books for the children's Christmas presents down yesterday; however because of my personal circumstances I couldn't buy the ham myself that I needed to give someone the money to buy it. We eventually worked out I could make a direct deposit into a bank account. After she explained that they were not a registered charity, I said I don't care I still want to help. I asked if X amount would cover the cost of a ham. I should explain I have never bought a leg of ham and have no idea of the cost. “Oh My God” the lady said, “gosh any amount we're most grateful for.” So I guess it covers the ham with some left over.


I still feel a little lost for a act of kindness to do today. I'm finding it hard that most of my day is at spent at home so I don't have people in line behind me to pay for. Maybe my act of kindness is perseverance at working how to pay of this ham. Seems to still be a communication problem.

I have plenty of ideas but the how-to lets me down. So once again I settled on making an online donation. It’s just all a bit impersonal . It lacks a human touch. I am going to try and write to one of my support workers who has been affected by the floods early in the year. Her spirit to give to others even though she is in the process of rebuilding her own home and has no running water is inspiring. She would never see herself as being 'in-need' and has willing given to my fundraising activities during the year. I marvel at her Christmas wish for a flushing toilet. In a world of technology that said so much to me.

I was myself was treated to an act of kindness today. A friend popped in for about 20 mins. At this time of year that's generous. I mention this because we were discussing the meaning and different value we attach to this and different days of year. While our conversation related to a Christian perspective, the same can be said for any object or event. I am sure running water has two very different meanings to me and my support worker and an entirely different meaning to someone who has never had running water in their homes.

The Spirit of Christmas giving too has a different meaning to each of us. For some it’s sending Christmas cards in mail; for others it is buying gifts for family and friends; for some it’s making a donation to a Christmas appeal or putting a gift under the Kmart (Wallmart) wishing tree; and for another it’s visiting a nursing home, doing some baking for a neighbour or making hand-made gifts. My friend reminds me it not what you do or how you do it, as long a your doing it for the 'right' reason.

So however you're experiencing this years Spirit Of Christmas I hope its by being true to yourself and the reason you celebrate Christmas.

Until tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment