Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

TOGETHER BIG THINGS ARE POSSIBLE


Though networking with others Marlena makes her jump!

Leadership is not about me!

Leadership is not about me or my recognition. Leadership is about the network and the team I gathering around me.  It about selecting people like Marlena who I can draw from, be inspired, gain encouragement, confide in, to partnership with.  In the past I would say, there's no I in team! As you probably noticed there is no 'I' in the word leadership either, nor is it possible to be a leader if there's no team,  (formal or informal) to connect to.

One of my passions is to raise community awareness about the achievements of people with disabilities to showcase what is possible when stereotypes are challenged! One reason for this is to provide role models for other people with disabilities.  To challenge them to stretch themselves.  It is not possible to do this on my own, I may be an inspiration to my friends, but there are so many different types of disabilities with varying degrees of severity (which I am still learning about), that I can't be a role model for every person with a disability in Ipswich.  

The other aspect, is we need to promote acceptance in the general community. While transport access, physical access and educational access are all important to address. Our biggest barrier still remain community attitudes based around misconceptions of the true capabilities of people with disabilities whether they are physical, intellectual, behavioural, sensory, communication, or psychological people with disabilities can all participate in the community given the right type of support. Day centres and respite are about the careers needs not about providing activities for people with disabilities. Yes, they have a role to play but they should never become the focus of clients lives. We need to challenge the mindsets of decision makers, business owners and employers in order to create a social inclusive community.   To that needs a whole mob of people not a single leader with a vision. 

We need leaders like Marlena who model determination and courage in the face of opposition and resistance to keep knocking until the doors to access all areas are open.  Just as Marlena's sky diving jump today was not possible with out a network of friends and supports around her, my leadership dreams are impossible until I form a team around me.

We in this together!
Debbie           


No comments:

Post a Comment