Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Having Epilepsy Shouldn't Put You Out On A Limb

Debbie's Purple Day

Online Art Auction

26th March 2013



Purple Day is an International Day to raise awareness of the lives people with Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders in the community. Having seizure dispute your normal daily routine. "should not put you out on a limb!" 

Having seizures never defines who I am as a person. Like 40% of people who experience epilepsy my seizures are unpredictable, making holding down full time work not feasible. It  can take me a few hours to recover from a seizure. However my seizure do not prevent me from living a fully active community life.

This is a very significant year for me, as I am very fortunate to be one of forty-one people around Australian living with a disability participating in the Leaders for Tomorrow Program.  One of my goals in the program is to be able to establish myself as an artist in my local community.  

In addition to my seizure disorder, I also have CP. I always have been interested in art, however at school, especially to my parents, a career in art was not seen as a viable option. I happy to tell you today, my artwork hangs with pride in the house along with other artwork.  

Just as cerebral palsy hasn't prevented me for pursing my art, not has epilepsy deter me from public speaking, poetry performance, presenting academic papers and a public life. I have far from locked myself away because of my epilepsy. 

Someday's when I'm out performing my poetry, I shine. Other days after performing I want to crawl under the table and hide. However, my motto is why hide away and miss opportunities to Shine. 

On March 26th I am auctioning some of my artwork to raising money to support the on going work of Epilepsy Action Australia, who provide free support to people living with epilepsy and seizure disorders and their families, as well training and epilepsy training to the community. 

Pictured above is one of my works that will be up for auction, you can bid @ Purple Day Art Auction However you must be able to pay for items online at my secure Fundraising page       

Debbie Chilton
Purple & Proud

No comments:

Post a Comment