Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Life Without Limits!

Dreaming Big Dreams


What do Nick Vujcic,  Marlena May Katene  and Joni Erikson Tada have in common?  They are incredible gifted individuals living life to the full, embracing every opportunity that life presents. Each one has embarked on a quality of leadership the will lead us well into tomorrow.

The fact that each of these three people has a disability does not escape me, as I seek to explore, discover and develop my own leadership style, these are the people I look towards.  For any journey towards geniune leadership is not take alone, but traveled with companions of like minded people. A true leader will surround themselves with other leaders, in the field they wish to work.

Nick Vujcic
"Living life with a purpose!"
 Nick was born with "no arms and no legs." Nick grew up in South East Queensland, but now lives with his beautiful wife in the US. This young couple are now awaiting the birth of their first child.  While Tom Cruise wanted to jump on Oparh's coach, Nick was  happy to give Oparh an arm less hug today.

Nick heads up an International Ministry, traveling the world sharing his stories of being bullied, thinking life would be a whole lot better if he only had arms and legs to keep up with the other kids.  Nick now spends his time speaking to young people telling them, he was wrong and God had much bigger plans for his life.


 From the above picture you woudn't know it but Joni is a quardpeadjic and while on land needs to use a wheelchair for mobility purposes. I first heard Joni's story from my friend Jo Briggs who had become a parpegtic after a horse riding accident. Some time later a shared in my first team role I was interested in becoming a writer. Back then I wanted to write my autobiography. So while I went on to complete my studies in Behavioural Science and further trained as a Christian Youth Worker I read Joni's triliogy of autobiographies.

Joni like my friend Jo acquired a life changing disability in her late teens. Instead of being angry and bitter she used her Christian faith to triumph over adversity. Just like Nick she heads up an International Ministry where as nick inspires young people around the world and has a very strong anti-bulling message. Joni workers with her husband Ken (pictured at the back of the boat) in the disability community.   

Joni and Friends Ministries Family Camps 
In addition to he ministry, and her determination to raise money to purchase wheelchairs so people in third world countries can experience mobility and a full life, Joni is a author, singer and artist. If anyone challenges the limits of her disability and the realm of possibilities this lady does.
Print by Joni Erikenson Tada
Here work can be purchased at
Joni and Friends Store


"Were in this together"

Marlena (in the blue) is no strange to my blog.  It Marlena's and fellow 2012 Leaders for Tomorrow Graduates direct footsteps I am following in. I think in a post last week I used a throw away line, 'The sky is the limit.' Marlena corrected this on facebook today, by reminding up that mans footsteps are on the moon and 'the sky' does not limit us at all.  Marlena in her true leadership style is gather people around her as she continues to build on her leadership.  Currently, she is inviting her facebook friends to write a bucket list with her and she is drawing a circle of people around her to enable her to tick off each item if her list.

On top of her bucket list is . . . a trip to the edge a space, some how though I can't help feeling she will find away to top even that achievement.
To the edge of space and beyond
These are not only leaders in chosen flied but provide witness in my personal quest to challenge and bust the myths that surrounds those of us living with the obstacles of our disabilities. At present Marlena is in a battle to prove herself as a intellectual woman who knows her own mind.  She is the last person who would except tokenism or allow herself to be patronized   Sadly many people refuse to accept that CP is not an intellectual disability. Centuries of carrying this misconception are proving difficult to erode  As Marlena U-tube journalism videos go viral, this wide spread misconception continues to be exposed .

No comments:

Post a Comment