Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Look out for people with disabilities at this timei


Before 8 am this morning the phone rang. Unusual for a public holiday but not entirely unexpected given the flood warning issued for Ipswich and surrounding areas last night. "I Deb just checking you have power and you ok!". 

I reply, "I am fine, I one of the lucky ones.  Ring Christine and tell her not to come to work tonight I don't want my staff in danger.' 

While I have that luxury, So people with disabilities do not. If anything the floods of 2011 brought that home to me. Disabilities Services are able to make calls and get those most risk to respite care centers or hospital, but in the main many support staff can not reach clients. The are people with disabilities depend on paid support workers just to get them out on bed. 

As the flood waters and number of road closes increased by the hour, the likely hood that staff can reach clients decreases. Many support staff also face crises themselves, as their homes flood for the second time in two years, the emotional toll on the entire community is running high. 

But together we got back on our feet last time and together we will get through again! My message to the community is unless you in the evacuation zone or helping family stay off the roads.  Many are cut and that is increasing by the hour. But a wander next door to en elderly neighbor or someone with a disability would best the best help.

Many are now without power so if you can check food supply or take a hot meal these are the safe ways to help. Not out out on the roads in your cars. For flood effect areas in Ipswich visit Ipswich City Council Website

Keep safe everyone,
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment