Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

The time to act is now


The Queensland State election are looming, the political boxing gloves are on and the mud is beginning to stick . . . But as the ballot box day draws nearer, so do does my tension of who to  vote for.  Over the years I have developed a healthily skypetism about politicians ability to create any real change.

This year I fine myself unusually unsettled, as our leaders throw mud at each other, I’ve heard little on the polices that affect me the most and nothing on the economy, debit reduction or costings. Three weeks before I vote all I see are over stressed government department long for restructuring or a recent restructuring which has only added to systemic failure to keep demand with our population growth. On health, caring for the homeless, mentally ill and people with disabilities, their families and careers I have heard nothing.

Its like Queensland politicians are buying time until hopefully the federal government takes the problems of their hands.  There’s plenty of talk, facts and figures currently being bantered around Canberra and lot of smiles behind NAIDS T-shirt and photo opportunities, but smiles don’t pay for my medical costs, my health needs, my mobility aids or my support costs.

The current disability sector in Queensland is at crisis point. Historically it was established in response to de-industrialization, to support people to live in the community. But failed in its initial recognization that there were other community members with disabilities who needed assistance.  Thus, while the department recognized the need, its foundation resources didn’t and still doesn’t have the compasity to meet these previously unidentified needs. But successive governments have chosen not to deal with the fundamental issues.

As a person with a disability it feels like everyone wishes the issues would go away, because so many people who are in this position to address these fundament issues put it in the too hard basket. This election  both sides of politics have failed  to offer any solution to correct these and other mistakes. This history of failure to care for the most vulnerable members in our community has recently become personal.

As I discovered the true position I face living with a disability which has increasing  impact as I age, places me in.  If you like `the crunch time' has arrived.  Without gaining funding through the Department of communities my support needs become unfunded able until I reach 60 yr. There is little provision for some my age, with my ‘perceived’ level of disability to be able to afford to live independently in the community.

My only hope of holding on to the few hours a week help I get, is to get political. Yet how do I chose which candidate to vote for when no candidates are willing to discuss the issues that matter to me, because the federal government is making a few noises about taking over.  We herd that with water and with hospitals and yet this issues with these departments still exist with only a few bandaid solutions been apply without any new major funding.

Without political discussion at state level how do I begin to decide who to vote for? Right now Mickey Mouse is sounding like a better candidate to address these and other issues come March 24.

I can not support anyone without someone willing to put ideas on the table and admit we can survive with political ifs, whens and maybes’.  Please help us members of the community who maybe less in numbers ask the hard questions we need to ask. We still need our voice herd at state level. Please tell everyone you know about my blog post.  The TIME TO ACT IS NOW!

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment