Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Purple Day 2012

It's time to step out . . .
. . . from under the shadows 

My name is Debbie and I confess to having epilepsy like 1 in every 50 people! If epilepsy is so common why and I tell you this? I need to announce that I along with thousands of other Australian have chosen today March 26 2012 to step out of the shadows and tell people we have epilepsy by wearing purple!  March 26 is purple day!

We want to invite you to come and stand beside us in the bright sunshine and stick out like a sore thumb by wearing purple today!

CASSIDY MEGAN 
Purple Day was started in 2006 by Cassidy Megan who was only 10 years old at the time.  Cassidy simply wanted “people epilepsy to know they were not alone.” Will you wear purple with her today to see her dream achieved?

This year I in choosing to step out from under the shadow and pulling on my purple day T-shirt I will be supporting Epilepsy Queensland and Epilepsy Action Australia. Many I take this opportunity to ask you to become a Purple Day Hero by making a donation to one of these organisations or pick up some purple day merchandise. The links are in the right had column. 


Epilepsy is a very common disorder in our community and yet many myths surrounding the disorder and first aid of seizures still exist.  Since suffering my first seizure over 20 years ago, people has offer applied inappropriate first-aid.  One of the goals of Epilepsy Action Australia this year is to educated people on basic first-aid for people who experience grand-mal seizure, chatonic seizures or complex partial seizures.  These are these are the types of seizures you many one day wittiness. Although there are over 40 different types of seizures and not all of them are classify as epileptic seizures.

In explain basic first-aid procedures it is often easier to tell my family, friends and support workers what not to do.  Rather than present a first-aid blurb myself I’d like to ask you to watch the video in the previous post and then download the first-aid poster at Epilepsy Queensland


When I moved out home (for the second time – a typical Aussie kid) they was a mixed reaction. Some people were horrified my parents would let me leave home.  Well at 28 thought to ask my parents permission didn’t occur to me and to them it had become obvious that I was not happy and needed to try to live independently.  And then the what ifs.  What if I had a seizure, like it had never happen before.

The truth be told, my seizure are probably not epileptic and are complex partial seizures.  While basic first aid is often needed but not necessary. I am fortunate I usual get a warning. If I am at home I simply lie on my bed, have a seizure and then roll over and go to sleep.  The other blessing is I have most of me seizure at night and less I am unwell.  When I get sick for some reason that throws my medication level out.

I am part of the 30% of people whose seizure can not be fully controlled. I am told this is the norm form people who have a combination of Cerebral Palsy and epilepsy. CP does not define who I am and thus I am determine to not let my seizures define me either.  I accept it prevents me form having a full time job and driving a car, but that’s where the limits stop.  Those too limits are imposed by other people not me.

"Epilepsy doesn’t define me!"
So now I walking in the sunshine will you join me by wearing bright purple on March 26 Every Year?
       
 


No comments:

Post a Comment