Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Time to celebrate our ABILITIES

This week is Disability Action Week. Its not a week to focus on our disabilities, nor a week to educate the public about disabilities or different types of disabilities, rather its a week of celebrating and embracing our whole being. People with disabilities are much more than the limitations their disability present. I am a believer in everybody has a talent of some description. In the main as a creative person I often find myself responding to people's comments, Your so creative, I'm not creative in anyway. What?


Do you cook? Can you make a sandwich? Well, you know last time I checked these two things required one to 'create' or bring something into being!

We humans are funny creatures, we focus so often on what we can't do or what we don't like about ourselves. I'm too short, I wear glasses, I can't spell, I'm not creative, I'm a messy person, Sorry, I haven't washed the car; I've got nothing to wear, I can't cook! You get the picture, we are very SKILLED at making negative statements.

Ok, now close you eyes and imagine your husband, wife, best friend or mother standing before you. 'Is that what there going to describe 'as what they see'? I don't think so! Well, my friends don't describe me to there other friends as being a short, overweight person who wears glasses. In the main I am introduce by the quality of my 'person-hood' that person most values in me. This is Debbie a lifelong 'friend', so my friendship is the 'gift' that that friend most values.

Our friends a very gifted as seeing us in a positive light and yet they will say, 'I am just a mother and housewife'. They do see the value and skills in either of those roles. In the main as a society we are 'skilled' at making disabling statements. If we say we can't do something, then that's it! A negative statement is made putting a 'mental brick wall' before us that we can't move around. These types of statements and attitudes are disabling. We do not have to wear a 'disable' tag to 'disable' ourselves.

Is it then any wonder we disabled others in our community. Our 'attitudes' and 'words' are more disabling than any physical; intellectual; behavioural; psychological or sensory disability can ever be. I know many people who need 24 hour assistance with daily living activities and yet I see their smile, their sense of humour, I am totally in awe of their ability to communicate with their eyes, if I could only point and indicate with my eyes, I'd be so disabled, but not so these people in my life.

Like me the have discovered their passions, interests, abilities skills, talents and love for life! One person I know until recently was non-verbal and still needs 24 hour assistance, for me the fact that she has leant to talk in her thirties (being born with CP) is a testimony of how disabling our attitudes can be, including me. My friend is a very talented artist and even before she learned to speak, communicating with her through her American  accent communication board told me her vocabilly was much more extensive than mind.

Anyone who knows the story of 'Anne's Coming Out' knows how disabling the belief that these people were also had profound intellectually disabilities resulted in immense disabling and a lifetime of curtly and intellectual starvation.

This week is not about what me and my friends can and can't do. Its about celebrating and embracing who we are. It about ceasing the day and living life to the MAX!

My challenge to you and myself  this week is not to make disabling statements or assumptions about ourselves or others.

CELEBRATE YOUR ABILITIES THIS WEEK!      

No comments:

Post a Comment