Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Statistics Of Normal


When I was studying statistical analysis at University 'Normal' was a point on a statistical curve where the majority of people would fall. Another reference point we would use was the mean, a statistical range which most people would fall between. However as members of  Society, our social conditioning often dictates what is the 'norm' or considered 'normal' .  Let me demonstrate what I mean by giving examples from my own social setting. Consider me in a busy shopping centre as a person with a disability; most fellow shoppers may not consider me 'normal'. But consider this, 'put me in a room of 40 something women and I may be considered as being of normal age, even if I still do not conform to what other's consider as normal.'

Now try a room of people with degrees. My Tertiary Education might make me appear normal, but how many in the same room have some type of disability? How about a room of published authors am I normal because I have published a book or outside the 'norm' because I have CP? I'll let you decide. What if I am in a room of people with CP, magically I appear 'normal'. Hey I just had a crazy thought put me in a room of women with CP who have a degree, and have published a book, then one surely could not argue I was not normal. The number of people in the room doesn't play a role in this statistical equation it's just the description or label of people in the room that is being argued.

What you may be wondering is my point? Simple, the definition of 'normal' is situational. It changes from one situation to the next. If a group of people with disabilities go to see a movie and the total number of people with disabilities, falls within the mean then it is normal for a person with a disability to go to the movies. As stereotypes exist in our society at least statistically Behavioural Scientists can challenge the misconception of the 'norm' and otherwise.

However, this is not the aim of my blog. My blog is to provide real life illustrations to challenge the misconceptions about people in society who appear to be different to those around us. I hope my blog today has challenged the notion that people with disabilities are generally uneducated.

Judge for yourself if I am normal or otherwise?

Debbie Chilton (c) Copyright. 2009

* Reposted from my blog Escape by Pen

No comments:

Post a Comment