Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Disability Care Australia has counted us in!

Facts and Figures 

Budget 2013/2014

Regardless of what side of politics you support today marks the sign of a mature country as for the first time we acknowledge that in Australia Everybody counts! Including people with serve to profound disability. As  Disability Care Australia begins to rolled out on July 1 2013 five trail sites around Australia will begin delivering support to those with disabilities and their families based on the goals of an individual rather than simply based on their 'perceived needs'.

People with disabilities have united with one voice to say "count me in!" When the polls open on polling day "count me in!"; next time you design a new building "count me in!" ; when you're looking at town planning "count me in!" ; when you're advertising for new staff "count me in!" ; when you're designing a new building "count me in!" ;  when you're planning the 2018 Commonwealth Games "count me in!"  and wherever you celebrating being a proud Australian "I want to be counted in too!"


We are a proud sporting nation, just as we are proud of the many Australian sports men and women we as people with disabilities want to say counts us in as you celebrate and come celebrate with us to! As we celebrate on 16 May 2013 the passing of Disability Care Australia and the pledge to fund it well into the future was fully support by both sides of polices and all states except Western Australia today.

As Australians are about to go head to head in the next federal election, the budget seems to be emptied and promise little accept for people with a disability who have campaigned to BE COUNTED for many, many years. This year budget delivered them Disability Care Australia and secure funding for many years. 

Yesterday as the Prime Minster recalled some of the people in Queensland who personall;y thanked her for bring hope and meaning to their lives she wept, she felt with compassion. It was the same compassion I was greeted with last week.  I had few words for her as we looked eyes and she thanked me and I thanked her.  We knew we together along with tens of thousands of people had delivered a better future for people with disabilities   I knew she was geniune when she talks about the NDIS and now Disability Care, the NDIS means as much to her as it does to me. I know because I looked straight into her eyes myself. 

From July next year the Medicare levy will rise by 0.5% raising 20.4 billion dollars over the next four years to assist 460, 000 people (or about 2% of the general population) with disabilities and their families once the scheme is fully operational. No long will people have to fundraiser for a new wheelchair as their child grows and we can now begin to expand our minds to building purpose built accommodation for young people with a disability needing 24 hours support. No longer will age care be their only option. 


The community of Illawarra is one of the first launch site for Disability Care Australia beginning on July 1 this year.  Where approximation 8, 000 people with disabilities and their families are said to benefit from the schemes introduction. 

By 2020 people with disabilities and their family members will finally have the support the need to live full and meaningful lives in the community in which they choose to live, learn, work and play alongside every other Australian.  Because Australia we're in! 

May 15 2013 Prime Minter introduces Disability Care Australia to Parliament and breaks
in tears a she recalls the thank you card Sandy gave her. A card I had also signed and
watch Sandy hand it to her myself.  A day I witnessed history, a day I was very proud
to be an Australian who counted!
    






   

No comments:

Post a Comment