Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

THE YEAR IN REVIEW


Season’s Greetings
As we celebrate the birth of the ‘King of kings!
LEADERSHIP IN THE COMMUNITY

In December last year I joined the Leaders For Tomorrow Program and I am about to conclude a year that was incredibly challenging and rewarding. The former Labor Government set aside funding to train 200 people with disabilities in leadership skills. A leadership role could be any one of the following areas’ employment, sporting, community, the arts, and government.  I was privilege to  be chosen to gain skills to equip as a community leader.

 One of the primary roles I took on in the community was joining the Disability Community Awareness Team. Under the leadership of Peter & Linda Tully, Amanda and myself seek to promote community awareness, promote a sense of community through supporting the Ipswich City Council’s Disability Inter-agency Network, Assisting in informing the community of the changes that will occur in the disability sector when the National Disability Insurance Scheme is introduced in Queensland in 2016.

Of course the highlight for us a Disability Community Awareness was to the signing between the Federal Government and State Government’s funding agreement for the National Disability Insurance Scheme. As we attended forms and information sessions, the communities confusion, frustrations and celebrations soon became clear.  With trails in five states still underway, many workings of the scheme here in Queensland are yet to become clear and with a change in federal government questions, funding arrangements, administration needs, budget costs and even a finial blue print is yet to be arranged.

For many seasoned campaigners’ like Peter & Linda Tully and the members and staff at the Queensland Disability Network the work to shape the National Disability Insurance Scheme continues as does the need for public information sessions. 
Other highlights included the Fresh Futures Market and Disability Awareness Action Week - Gathering Around Ability family fun-day.

Building Leadership Skills
“Working toward building an accessible community for all Australians remembering we are all ~original works of art ~”


Graduation Day 3rd December 2013

When I joined the Leaders For Tomorrow Program I was very velar on the leadership model I wanted to develop.  A style of leadership that has stood the test of time and founded a major world religion; Succession Leadership.  My goal is not to build an empire or even a company, but to build up and encourage other people in the community to take on leadership roles.

So hopefully people are not hearing too much about Debbie Chilton, but watching as she display’s leadership,   interacts in the community, feeling encouraged and inspired to dream a little bigger, think outside the square, and decide to take their own leadership roles.

For some the leadership role maybe a youth group leader, for others it may be on a community board and another as a para-omypilican. Creating colons is unsustainable.

This is the same model at Community Access Transitional Services. C.A.T.S After six years as vice-president I step into the role of President. We continue to support young people with disabilities to build a lifestyle of their own in the Ipswich Community.

My board role in a real sense allows me to model leadership to young people. They may never join a board of management, but the crave out their own leadership roles from the client feedback ground, environments, and the performing arts.        
Highlights



The challenge in selecting this type of leadership model is how to provide natural opportunities to connect with people living with disabilities with our a job title. The answer was in the end quiet simple . . . ART!

ArtISability is a professional visual arts development program for artists living with disability.  These are a series of workshops I am coordinating to enable these artists to develop specific art skills, build networks and create links to the local art community. On my second attempt I obtained a Regional Arts Development Fund Grand through partnership with the Ipswich City Council and Arts Queensland to host a pilot program here in Ipswich.

Together with Judith, Emma, Silvia and Donna, we have designed a program to link local artists living with disability and mental illness with a host of arts activities in Ipswich and beyond.

Emma Fitigarld is a young artists living with a disability I have been mentoring during the process of designing ArtISability. As a graduate in visual arts Emma’s, local art connections and knowledge has lead to a greater community interest in the ArtISability Program.

Emma is passion is for abstract art and teaching. She joined me as we coordinated arts and craft for people the Disability Action Week Fun Day!

Emma, Nick and myself
‘Putting our hands up for ability!’

The network process along the way to creating ArtISability has leaded me to places I never dream it would.  I had the opportunity to attend Arts and Disability meeting place in Hobart where I presented my ArtISability concept to delegates and got a bit of a crash course into life as an artists with a disability and arts worker in the arts industry. 

I am also currently completing own professional development program with Access Arts Queensland.  These two opportunities have enabled me to network with artists and arts workers on a national ‘stage’.  Working with a cross section of very talented artists in many disciplines and joining the Rising Star Program.

The Journey
Little White Lies Production
Based on the tiny lies we tell ourselves as artists and people living with disabilities.  As a writer I excel at lying! Why was reveal in my preparation, fully intent on a mission to state my place as a visual artist? I arrived to find myself amongst a rat bag story tellers like myself.


The eyes are the gate keeper between our private selves and person we reveal to the world. For me this picture is a symbol of the struggle to gate keep as I develop my leadership. My ability to tell stories shows as a author, poet, visual artists and performer. So at times the leadership journey has been hazy.  Creativity remands the connection point and leading the way the goal.
So along the way I have created . . . 
   







For Terms and Conditions see http://doodlesandribble.blogspot.com.au/
. . . Had my first art auction and raised money for Purple Day – Epilepsy Action, entered the Fine Arts Section in the Ipswich show and sold some other work along the way.

Shop front window
Art Exhibition

To round out my leadership training I am doing a few subjects at Brisbane Institute of Art.

On the 6th December I attended the opening of our 2013 Student Art Exhibition, Upstairs/Downstairs.  The Institute is promising me a lift will be installed in 2016!  So I’ll have access to all areas and all classes to complete my Diploma of Visual Arts.

Drawing from the visual world. . .
   
Student Art Exhibition 
Upstairs/Down Stairs 


"Child's Play by Debbie Chilton"
White and blue Pictures




Lady of Leisure 


My works can be purchase from http://doodlesandribble.blogspot.com.au/ and can be paid through PayPal or direct debit you may also be interested in my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DoodlesDribble. Or feel free to contact me direct.

Doodles and Dribble:
ABN: 44 359 426 307
PO Box 483
IPSWICH QLD 4304

Telephone: (07) 3281 3218 or 0421 401 788



Doodles and Dribble Art Studio
Viewings by appointment only!
 On (07) 3281 3218

You are always welcome to come view my art at my home studio and pay the old fashion way in cash!



My work also has recently been published by Embracing Anything is Possible and can be purchased at the following link.   http://www.embraceanythingispossible.com/diary-and-calendar-shop/

A great way to stay inspired through 2014 and provide support services for people living with disabilities, who current receive no government funding towards their support needs or respite for their families!

Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2014!

Debbie




No comments:

Post a Comment