Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Disabling Words

It strikes me as ridiculous that people who claim to be writers are unaware of the powerful impact words have and the collective responsibility we have in using current terminology. The word of God gives warning to the power when it tells us the tongue cuts sharper than the sword.

As a writer and an advocate for people with disabilities I feel a sense of failure and embarrassment this morning. Having been excited to have a piece on social inclusion printed to see the words 'Leadership in the Disable Community', beside my work brings shame. Two words thoughtless added by my editor, erodes my attempt to dissolve the the barriers between people with disabilities and the general community. 

When people with disabilities fight so hard not to be grouped together.  To not  from exclude groups or clubs and rather be included in mainstream activities. To be label in the media as a 'community' you realize how entrenched  negative community attitudes are towards people living with disabilities.

Again this morning I realize how unprepared Australians are to receive the values that unpin the NDIS, We are not mature enough to tear down the attitudinal boundaries.  In a system of support that seeks to address underemployment and increase social participation of Australians living with disabilities, the barriers feels as isolating as being surrounded by mountains a herder like cattle into a holding ground.

Please if you seek to write and print articles on social inclusion, chose appropriate terms and language that empowers rather than disables. Help us educate, rather than box us in!         

No comments:

Post a Comment