Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Chasing Bees


"Have you seen it?"

"I mean the bee that seems to be trapped in this continuous cycle around my head? Bloody annoying thing that won't bugger off! Is it worth chasing the bees or should I give up and take up bee keeping and collect the honey instead?"

As a client of any agency that provides me with support, I have a care plan.  Each care plan is individualize to my specific needs. I am blessed to have a community link officer and service coordinators that recognized my abilities and encourage my autonomy in writing my own support goals and care plans.

Some even joke, you're the writer so write your own support plan. To which I respond, trying to get out for work again!  You like this deal, its one less plan to write."

Then we burst into laughter and I write my own support plan.  Many old school paid careers and support workers get the nose out of joint because this not your job and what right do I have to decide my own support needs. That's what case management is for.  

The are in tithers that I be allowed to case manage my own affairs. The fact I don even have a case manager or social worker, because I do need one is not know to them.  Theses workers have a one-size fits all approach to supporting people with disabilities.  Which is what I label, a medical approach to providing support.  Sadly I have even been referred to as a patient!

As I said yesterday all too often, the support workers who take this approach are myself appointed supper-heroes here to rescue me from all harm, despite and care plan that has been activated by a support agency. Paperwork is viewed as nothing more than red-taped produce by the Department of Communities.  The careful individualization planing support goals and meeting unique needs is simply dismissed as erotic by the department to keep the powers of bee happy.

Once these types of workers enter my home, the bees swam and take control as my support and care plans are tossed  by my personal saviours in the bin, unread being judged as irrelevant to my needs. The bees, the bees! I cry, why don't they too see the bees that gather in my home.

The breed of bees today are called medications. The concept or notion that medications are legally required come into play and my saviours at simple a law in enforcement agency to administered my sentence imposed by a judge known as my GP. 

A judge the many workers view as incorrect and far too progressive in her approach to my health care.  How dare a doctor offered medication advice, options and choice.  What happen to the good old days when medication were simply prescribed.  You don't mean to say, like people with disabilities patients too have a right to choice and doctors are not longer dictators the were once viewed as.

As I said yesterday our choices have conqurences, giving people with disabilities real autonomy runs the risk of clients or patients making bad choices.  Like many everyday make the choice to take up smoking.  When are these self appointed saviours now.  Look, here these people are about to caused the own early deaths any your worried if I have a seizure if I don't take my medication? Come on don't just let the bees into my home, share them with the smokers too.

Ooops! I forgot you're one of the smokers, who has a right too choice because you don't have a disability.

The question remains to chase bees or take up bee keeping? Let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment