Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Beware! People Wear Medical ID

This month is an opportunity to make people aware that there are those in the community who wear medical jewellery for many different reasons. Including food allergies, allergies to medication, diabetics, those with epilepsy and other medical conditions they need to alert people. I know of some parents of children with Autism and Asperger's  Spectrum Disorder who purchase ID items for their children so they have the peace of mind knowing that their child has identification and contact information of them when they can't be with them.

I wear medical jewellery I purchased for Emergency ID Australia, because I am unable to have to Codeine administrative due to other medications, In my case alerting someone not to give me codeine is life and death if I am given enough codeine it can result in death.

I am also an epileptic if someone notices me having a seizure and the look for a medical bracelet or necklace then it tells them I have epilepsy and that is highly likely the reason for my seizure. People can have a seizure for other medical reasons such as extremely high fevers or brain tumours so it is helpful for medical personal to know I am a epileptic before trying to work out the cause of a seizure. However my jewellery also provides access to identification and emergency contacts through a 24hr member emergency call centre. Medical personal can call the phone number on my bracelet or necklace and give the operator my membership no. so my medical emergency information given. I have given the company details which I consider vital in an emergency situation including contact information for my next of kin.

As I have shared in my case my medical jewellery has potential to save my life. But imagine if you were in an accident and your personal ID was lost maybe burnt in a car the pull out of just before it busted into flames if can take precious time to identify you. Emergency ID jewellery gives you retrievable ID within minutes. That leaves you with something to think about!

However, because our medical jewellery is designed to look attractive we need to make people aware that people wear medical jewellery and train them to look for it on people needing medical assistance, especially emergency personal, paramedics and hospital ED staff. Wearing medical jewellery alone will not help save our lives it needs to be located.

I am fortunate as I use a wheelchair and was able to put stickers (provided by Emergency ID Australia) on either armrest of my wheelchair. Stickers may be on wallets, handbages, laptop cases, USB or even Emergency ID may be on kids shoe laces. We as a community need become aware of the valuable tools and there potential to save lives.

So BEWARE AND SHOW YOU CARE. If you have read this post it is my prayer that you share it with everyone you know. You may just help save someone's life someday.

On the right tab are the details to the medical jewellery company I used if your interest is purchasing medical ID for yourself.  Click on the ad as I've linked it to their website for you.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment