Life Matters

LIFE MATTERS

I discuss here the Matters of Life because Life Matters. From the very moments of conception until we meet face to face with Christ our creator. I share with my readers how my Christian Faith influences my biblical response to the events all around me.

Monday, June 30, 2014

Giving Voice

Dear Minister,

Since you are intent in silencing my voice through moves such as the dismissal of an independent commissioner for disability rights and the ABC has axed it online news service, which gave those like me a voice. I thought I share something of my day, which started at 7:30 when I got up for work. 

Normally I attend class at the Brisbane institute of Art on a Monday, but we are on Semester break, I decided I'd take a client to an art gallery to research ides for his next project.  I mentor artists with disabilities and mental health issues in the process of their professional development. However because my wage is dependent on securing grants, I may only be paid for six months at a time, Centrelink refuses to accept I am  employed.  However, I do not escape the tax man. 

Today, again I here you want people like me and my clients to be working.  Fine, the truth is most people with disabilities would love to find employment to fill their days and to have an income that helps pay for the increase of cost of living due to their disabilities, things like wheelchairs, walk aids, medications, medical assistance, home and car modification, however the perception of  most employers is that employees with disabilities can not deliver a 100% even when their disability will not impact their job performance. 

The myths and prejudices around people with disabilities are alive and well, but thanks to your government our voices from tomorrow are silenced. Anyway back to my day . . . 

I was doing some basic admin when I got a call to say my support workers car had broken down and she didn't know when she'd make it into work. Was she coming in to work or not?  They couldn't tell me and their was no back up worker who could get me ready for work. 

Fortunately my mum was able to come over and make me presentable for work and I had alternative transport booked.  Apart from the hassel of phone calls while getting ready and not being able to have a shower, (my mum had enough time to do the finishing touches like my hair and put my shoes on) before my transport turned up.

My point is the 'little things in life' that go wrong, like the car not starting has a greater impact on those living with disabilities.  As resilient as I am it plays on my mind, some people are waiting to prove I am unreliable simply because I have a disability called 'epilepsy' which is uncontrolled by medication.  However if I didn't get to work today it wasn't my fault. 

The life of those of us that need assistance to leave the house is not as easy as you make it sound.  

We depend on others to be on time, we need to check out all accessibility issues. I have ant medical emergency system to keep in place when unaccompanied, most people I deal with assume I have an intellectual disability because of my speech disorder, the idea I on my way to work, paid or unpaid is inconceivable.

Today I learn you think I need to look for paid employment.  I wish you knew how hard it was to swim up steam. It is exhausting. 

So if you think all people with disabilities are lazy, I hope this gives you food for thought.

Regards,
Debbie Chilton
     

No comments:

Post a Comment